25.3 C
State of Tripura
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Tripura power tariff row deepens as Ashish Saha questions govt’s Rs 100 cr subsidy

Tripura Net
Tripura Net
www.tripuranet.com is a daily news, news article, feature, public opinion, articles, photographs, videos etc –all in digital format- based website meant to disseminate unbiased information as far possible as accurate.

Must Read

Listen to this article 0:00 / 0:00

Tripura Congress chief Ashish Kumar Saha questions the government’s Rs 100 crore power tariff subsidy, alleging contradictory statements and demanding transparency on tariff hikes, subsidy implementation, consumer benefits and financial requirements.

The controversy over electricity tariff hikes in Tripura has intensified, with Pradesh Congress president Ashish Kumar Saha questioning the state government’s stand on its recently announced Rs 100 crore subsidy aimed at providing relief to consumers.

Saha accused the government of adopting contradictory positions on the electricity tariff issue and alleged that the latest subsidy announcement was an attempt to manage growing public resentment rather than address the concerns surrounding the tariff hikes.

The Congress leader recalled that the government had earlier denied responsibility for the increase in electricity tariffs and additional charges. According to Saha, the Power Minister had maintained that decisions relating to tariff increases were entirely under the jurisdiction of the Tripura Electricity Regulatory Commission (TREC), and that the Power Department had no role in determining the rates.

Saha criticised that position, alleging that the government had attempted to distance itself from the issue when consumers began protesting against rising electricity bills.

He said the subsequent announcement of a Rs 100 crore subsidy raised several questions about the government’s earlier stand. If the state government had no role in the tariff decision, Saha questioned, why was it now allocating a substantial amount of public funds to provide relief to consumers affected by the increased tariffs?

“After extracting huge sums from consumers through inflated tariffs, why suddenly declare subsidies?” Saha asked, while also questioning the government’s decision to organise thanksgiving programmes around the subsidy announcement.

According to the Congress leader, public dissatisfaction over increased electricity bills has already developed into a wider movement across Tripura. He claimed that the Congress had repeatedly sought clarity from the government regarding the tariff issue, but alleged that the concerns of ordinary consumers had not been adequately addressed.

Saha also demanded transparency regarding the financial implications of the tariff hike and the proposed subsidy. He sought details on the total amount required to compensate consumers for the increased tariff burden and questioned whether the Rs 100 crore allocation would be sufficient to provide meaningful relief.

He further demanded that the government explain the mechanism through which the subsidy would reach consumers. Questions regarding eligibility, distribution, implementation and the actual financial benefit to households must be clearly answered, he said.

Saha stressed that the announcement of a subsidy alone could not resolve the controversy unless consumers received tangible financial relief. He said the government should publicly explain who would qualify for the benefit, how the subsidy would be implemented and when consumers would begin receiving the relief.

The Congress leader also made it clear that his party would wait for the implementation of the subsidy before deciding its next course of action on the electricity tariff issue.

| Also Read: Tripura Govt to Bear 100% of Enhanced Power Tariff Through Subsidy: Ratan |

“We will first see how the subsidy is delivered and whether people truly gain financial relief. Only then will the Congress announce its next stand on the electricity tariff issue,” Saha said.

The latest statement is expected to keep the electricity tariff controversy alive in Tripura, with the Opposition continuing to demand greater accountability and clarity from the state government over the tariff increase and the proposed subsidy package.

- Advertisement -
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img

Latest News

Ahead of VC polls, Khumulwng office attack casts shadow over BJP-Tipra Motha relations in Tripura

Ahead of VC polls, tension rises in Tripura after BJP Khumulwng office was vandalised and 14-15 vehicles were damaged,...